Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project Home

Harry M. Majors - Clippings, Leavenworth Echo
Harry Majors graciously sent me newspaper clippings related to snowshoeing and skiing in the greater Leavenworth area. His research in the Leavenworth Echo focused on North Cascade history and thus included only a few articles about Leavenworth ski jumping.

Trinity-Red Mountain Mine

Snowshoe References

The following clippings refer to the use of snowshoes or sleds but not skis. Most, but not all, of these references are for the Royal Development Co. mine at Red Mountain above Trinity.

Leavenworth Echo, Mar 23, 1923, p. 1, col. 6 - "Red Mountain men in town for few days"

Jimmie Naughten and Joe Whalen came down from the Red Mountain mine and reported progress there. According to Naughten, Whalen has developed into quite an expert on skis. "Coming down this expertness was tested out and Joe claimed that he was carrying a burden of 90 pounds--40 on each foot and 10 in his pack. He says he is obliged to use the skis going back, but that when he reaches camp he'll make firewood of them."

Leavenworth Echo, Apr 6, 1923, p. 4, col. 1 - "Down from Red Mountain"

Frank Finnigan and Carl Norine came down from the camp of the Royal Development Co. for a short vacation. They made it out in about a day's time whereas a few weeks ago the trip required three days. "The reason is that now the men can use skis, the snow having become settled. While the snow was loose they had to use webs and the going on them is much slower than on skis."

Leavenworth Echo, Jan 22, 1926, p. 5, col. 4 - "Caught in a slide"

As "Blue Mountain Ole" [Ole Olson, according to Harry Majors] and Jim Cavanaugh were coming down from the camp of the Royal Development Co. they were caught in a snow slide about a mile above the Little Giant way-camp. Ole was on skis and Cavanaugh on foot when the slide occurred. Ole spurted forward, avoiding most of the slide, then returned and found Cavanaugh partly buried. Fortunately neither was seriously hurt.

Leavenworth Echo, Jan 8, 1937, p. 1, col. 3 - "Royal ships six cars ore in 1936"

"With the closing of the road to the Royal Development Co. mine at Red Mountain by heavy snow, no more shipments of concentrates to the Tacoma smelter will be made until spring." Seventy-six men are employed at the mine during the winter, the largest winter crew in several years. The road to the mine is open to vehicles as far as the Vern Shore ranch. "From there to camp, skis or snowshoes are the only means of getting in or out." The 1/29/32 article (listed above) says the distance from the mine to Shore's ranch is 28 miles. (A map check suggests that Shore's ranch must have been near Lake Wenatchee.)


Leavenworth Echo, Dec 31, 1926, p. 1, col. 5 - "Boy Scouts' winter camp"

Boy Scouts from Wenatchee and other towns are in their "winter camp" at Leavenworth. Their activities will include skating, coasting, and skiing near town and a ski hike up Icicle Creek.

Leavenworth Echo, Nov 16, 1928, p. 1, col. 4 - Anderson, W.E., "How about a ski tournament this winter?"

The author writes: "We should get together and form an outdoor sport club. Personally, I prefer a ski club. We need to find a good hill not over a mile from town, get permission from the owner of the land to clear a strip for a ski course and toboggan slide and then get busy and clear it before winter advances any farther." He describes in detail how to build a good ski jumping hill. Last winter, Carl Solberg, "ex-world champion ski jumper," instructed skiers near Cle Elum in the art of ski course building and ski jumping. Articles on 11/23/28 and 1/4/29 describe the preparation and opening of the new ski course. An article on 2/22/29 says that Anderson, forest ranger and ski jumper, lost the cup he had won at Cle Elum a year ago in this year's tournament. A crowd estimated at 3,000 was present for the event.

Another article on this page reports that the new 8-mile Cascade Tunnel under Stevens Pass will be ready for train operations on December 28. At opening, the $14 million tunnel will be the longest in America and the fifth longest in the world.

Leavenworth Echo, Oct 4, 1929, p. 1, col. 5 - "Probable site of ski course"

The Leavenworth Winter Sports club is considering a new ski course location on government land a quarter of a mile north of the old site and about one mile north of Leavenworth. The 10/11/29 paper (p. 1) reports that the site was selected and that efforts will be made to have Sigurd Hansen of Ione, Washington, "world's champion ski jumper in 1916," supervise the building of ski jumps. A life membership in the club was voted to Walt Anderson, "who fathered the ski and toboggan course idea and who has always been one of the best workers and most enthusiastic boosters." The following articles describe later ski jumping at Leavenworth:

Stevens Pass

Leavenworth Echo, Mar 10, 1933, p. 3, col. 6 - "Mr. and Mrs. Earle Little"

Deciding that the 1932-33 winter sports season was too short at Leavenworth, Mr. and Mrs. Earle Little and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Woldtvet motored up to the old Cascade Tunnel at Stevens Pass equipped with skis and snowshoes. They found 11 feet of snow piled along the highway and five inches of fresh snow. "These enthusiastic skiers and snow-shoers recommend the trip for any one who desires to prolong the winter sports season." The following articles also describe skiing at Stevens Pass:

Return to the Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project home page

Copyright © 2004 Lowell Skoog. All Rights Reserved.
Last Updated: Fri Oct 1 11:12:14 PST 2004